Medical tourists often take advantage of their stay in a foreign country to travel for pleasure by scheduling a vacation before or after their procedure. This is an especially inexpensive way to travel to a foreign country, especially if their insurance provider is paying for the flight and the cost of staying is low.
What are the advantages of medical tourism in India?
Advantages of medical treatment in India include reduced costs, the availability of latest medical technologies, and compliance on international quality standards, doctors trained in western countries including the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as English-speaking personnel, due to which foreigners are …
How do countries benefit from medical tourism?
It has the potential to aid in the development of health care infrastructure in destination countries while reducing wait times and costs for care for residents of departure countries. Third, medical tourism is also a revenue generating industry.
What are the cons of medical tourism?
Among the disadvantages of medical tourism is the one related to health insurance companies, who may refuse to cover a patient going abroad for legitimate reasons, or may actually encourage patients to go abroad if the treatment is cheaper, but then not cover the airfare and other expenses.
What is meant by medical tourism?
Medical tourism can be defined as the process of traveling outside the country of residence for the purpose of receiving medical care. … Originally, the term referred to the travel of patients from less-developed countries to developed nations in pursuit of the treatments not available in their homeland.
What are the kinds of medical tourism?
The most common categories of procedures that people pursue during medical tourism trips include cosmetic surgery, dentistry, cardiology (cardiac surgery), and orthopedic surgery.
What are the benefits and risks of medical tourism?
- The cost of diagnostic testing and medications is particularly expensive in the United States.
- The cost of pre- and post-procedure labor is often dramatically lower overseas. …
- High cost of malpractice insurance—the insurance that protects medical professionals against lawsuits—in the United States.
What are the impacts of medical tourism?
The medical tourism industry has also fostered cordial relations between nations that has helped advance the exchange of ideas and insights that have benefitted all the stakeholders in the ecosystem. This also leads to improved human rights regulations and safety of travellers in destination countries.
Is medical tourism good or bad?
Most hospitals, on the lookout to attract foreign tourists, combine the benefits of a luxury hospital and a hotel. Thus, a medical holiday abroad will not only repair your body, but also rejuvenate your mind. 4. For many countries, medical tourism contributes to a significant percentage of their revenue.
What are the common pitfalls of medical tourism in India?
Disadvantages of Health Travel in India
1) Medical Malpractice: Misdiagnosis during the treatment can result in unforeseen damages even though hospitals provide malpractice insurance. And since travellers are not aware of the legal rules in India, this can cause further troubles.
When did medical tourism start?
Beginning in the late 1980s, the island country started programs to lure foreigners from India, Latin America and Europe for eye surgeries, heart procedures and cosmetic procedures.
How can we improve medical tourism?
Factors attracting medical tourist to India
- Cost. India provides the highest quality healthcare at the lowest price. …
- Quality. India provides treatment of high quality using the latest technology and technique. …
- Waiting time. …
- Language. …
- Travel. …
- Invest in technology. …
- Have a strong online presence. …
How do you do medical tourism?
Here are tips for engaging in medical tourism:
- Do your homework.
- Look for companies that specialize in medical tourism.
- Find reputable hospitals.
- Keep your doctor apprised of your plans.
- Understand how the procedure is performed abroad.
- Factor in the pros and cons.
What is the significance of the medical tourism in a country?
Health tourism covers those types of tourism which have as a primary motivation, the contribution to physical, mental and/or spiritual health through medical and wellness-based activities which increase the capacity of individuals to satisfy their own needs and function better as individuals in their environment and …